Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oh Jane Austen...You slay me...

Well, I did it. I finally finished my first Jane Austen novel. After years of enjoying Austen adaptations on film, I figured I would have at least been somewhat entertained by a novel. Yeah, not so much.

For those of you who are interested in the plot of Emma, I will continue from my last blog post. I must warn you I will be brief, which is exactly how I wished this book was.

Emma finds out that Mr. Elton has no interest in Harriet whatsoever, and has his eye on Emma. Emma says no thanks, and the jilted Mr. Elton goes to Bath (really awesome Romanesque town in England...been there...love it) and comes back with a fiancee, whom Emma can't stand. While Mr. Elton was gone a Mr. Frank Churchill rolls into town (He is the son/step-son of family friends). Around the same time we're also introduced to a Miss Jane Fairfax who lives with her crazy old aunt. Emma fancies herself in love with Frank and is encouraged by everyone (including Frank himself) that she has caught his eye. Eventually Emma tries to pawn Harriet off on Frank (poor girl). In the meantime it has been brought up that Jane and Mr. Knightley might be good together. Emma doesn't like this, but she's not sure why (because you're in love with him, you dumb girl), and decides she just doesn't want him to be with anyone. Eventually it is learned that Frank and Jane are secretly engaged (scandal!)...so there goes another eligible bachelor. Harriet fancies herself in love with Mr. Knightley, and the evil green monster finally makes itself known to Emma. She's in love with Mr. Knightley (banging head...on...wall). Luckily for her he holds her in the same affection and the two are married at the end of the book. Oh, and Harriet goes back to Mr. Martin and they get married too.

Phew. What a nightmare. Honestly, I was hoping for some grand declaration of love or SOMETHING that truly indicated the turning point when Mr. Knightley and Emma decide their mutual love for one another, and it didn't happen. I mean, it was mentioned, but was so understated that I can't remember what was said. Overall, I was sorely disappointed. I found Emma to be so immature and spoiled that I really didn't care to read what she had to say anymore. It was interesting to read an Austen story in which the heroine wasn't poor (which I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that Emma is the only one in all of the novels that has money) but I prefer the Bennetts and Dashwoods.

I give Emma 2/5 stars...only because the story, if less cluttered, is decent. For those that are interested in the Emma story but don't want to go through the hell that I just endured, PBS is starting and Emma miniseries that airs on the 24th of this month. I will be watching :)

One book down, one hundred more to go. Off to the land of Animal Farm next...much more my style!


1 comment:

  1. Dang..how did you keep it all straight! LOL I am confused just reading your blog! LOL Thanks.

    ReplyDelete