Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Journey into Knowledge (or hell...I'm not sure yet)

Hello.
For those of you out there that don't know me, my name is Stephanie. I am an almost 26 year old married, grad student living in the great state of Connecticut. I live a quiet life with my husband, dog, and cat...things are very normal. A couple of days ago I decided to break the cycle of normalcy and apathy by creating a personal quest. I scoured the internet searching for exactly what I wanted and finally discovered the list. I, Stephanie West, will read the Penguin Classics"s "101 Best Books Ever Written".

101 books, and not just any books mind you. These are the classics folks. From Homer to Dostoevsky, from Dickens to Austen...I shall read them all!

This list is rather daunting and I'm rather certain it will take me quite a while to finish due to lengthy grad school work that will be occurring simultaneously. It will be a long and arduous road and I plan on sharing all of it with whomever wants to hear me.

I'm not sure where this idea came from but I believe that every once in a while, it's nice to do something that not a lot of others can say that they did. My husband and I own a small handful of these books and were discussing how we wanted to buy the classics to put in our library for our children someday. So, in a way, I think I'm also doing this for my future children. I shall arm them with an arsenal of great literature and will be able to assist in English papers! As for the blogging, perhaps I was inspired by Julie/Julia or I just think some people would get a good laugh at my rather unprofessional book reviews. Either way, I am looking forward to the challenge and to sharing my thoughts!

I am starting with 1984, even though I have already read it (I am reading ALL of the books). I originally wanted to start at the top of the list but the weather today prevented me from going to the book store so alas, that fell through.

So it's off to the land of George Orwell I go! The next time you hear from I shall hopefully be finished with it. Happy reading everyone, and wish me luck!!


1 comment:

  1. I'll be checking in and reading your updates as I don't believe I would ever attempt such a feat!

    (Hey..don't know how to change my name! but you know it is me)

    ReplyDelete